Sunday, September 15, 2013

The First Three Weeks 9/15/13

Throughout the first three weeks I have learned the basics of the java programming language. I have no prior experience with java and very limited prior experience programming in general, only having dabbled a little in C++ and visual basics. Almost everything we have learned has been new to me and it has been a fun experience so far. I am very interested in learning java in this class because I have tried to learn a programming language in the past and have been unsuccessful due to of a lack of time and outside distractions. Learning programming in the formal structure that a class brings will be beneficial to me because I care about getting good grades and will be motivated to actually do the work. I am inspired to work the whole class doing something I enjoy and am not bored or tempted to get off task. So far I have not had a lot of spare time in the class as the labs and worksheets have taken me all of the provided work time so I don't feel like I have a lot of extra wasted time. As I get more proficient at programming I hope to be able to get the labs and worksheets done quicker. However currently the small details of syntax are something I am working on memorizing and don't come naturally to me. In the future I am looking forwards to learning more about if/then statements and how to use them in java because Boolean logic seem very useful in many different types of programs I would want to create in the future. I also as a longer term goal want to learn enough programming to be able to participate in computer science contests, something I hope I will have achieved by the end of the semester.

Ben Girardeau

No comments:

Post a Comment